Sunday, June 26, 2011

Valley Forge

Our summer of fun continues. We started our day on a quest for furniture. We were told by a local about an awesome furniture warehouse that was the size of ten football fields. So, we headed towards Philadelphia thinking that we would be spending the entire day looking at furniture. Sadly, the warehouse was more a yard sale than a warehouse.
However, since we now live two hours from everywhere, we hopped back on the turnpike and ten minutes later arrived at Valley Forge.


Well, I told you I like my men tall. This man was in character and I was very intimidated by him.


This will be the first of many trips to Valley Forge for us, because there is so much to see and learn there.
Replica of the huts or cabins that the troops lived in during that cold winter.
More than 11,000 troops made camp at Valley Forge in December of 1777. The men set to work to build, small, crude huts that would be their homes for roughly the next six months. During that time, more than 2,000 men died there from disease and inadequate supplies.


 National Memorial Arch-Dedicated 1917


Window in the Washington Memorial Chapel

Washington's Headquarters

George and Martha slept here
 After spending a few hours in Valley Forge we took the scenic route home through Amish country and stopped for dinner at a local diner that has been around since 1917. It was an all-you-can eat buffet so Jay took FULL advantage of all they had to offer. O.K., not everything, he passed on the baked cabbage and oatmeal pie but he ate his money's worth and left fat and happy. Our cute little waitress came over to see what I had on my plate. When she asked why I didn't have any baked cabbage casserole, I told her I was afraid to try it. She said, "Nonsense", and quickly brought me a dish full of it. She was a little intimidating, too. "Bleh!!" But, I tried it and many other Amish dishes. Did you know their chicken pot pie doesn't have any crust? They serve their waffles and french fries with gravy? We should have no problem losing weight. Ha, ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment